Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Life is no fun

January 2012...where are you? I remember all those years ago sitting in school, daydreaming about where I would be when I was a 'grown-up' and had a career. Did I ever daydream I would be caring for twelve toddlers? Nope. Did I ever imagine I would have six children by the time I was 30? Not a chance! Would I have written my story differently? Better? Well, I can definitely say I would have left out a few of the painful moments, and probably would have avoided some of the mistakes, but if I were presented with the opportunity to do life over, I can not honestly say I would want to do it differently. My life has been a rollercoaster of trials and triumphs. Jubilation and tribulation. Joy and Sadness. Pain and perserverance. One thing for sure, it has not been dull. Just last week, my four year old complained before bed that he was unsatisfied with the day and was not ready for bedtime. He attributed his dissatisfaction to a lack of 'funness' and whimpered as we climbed the stairs to bed that he could not sleep without having some 'funness' first! Do I ever look back at my life dissatisfied? Do I complain to God and whimper that my life does not have enough funness? When did we get this insane idea in our heads that life is suppose to be fun? God tells us from the beginning that life is going to be hard. He promises that there will be trouble, but he reminds us that we are not alone and in this life we must remember that He and ONLY He has overcome all the worlds' troubles. Adults spend millions of dollars and countless hours trying to make life fun, trying to forget the troubles that we all must face. But why? Wouldn't it be easier and let's face it, a whole lot less work, if we all agreed that life is hard and sometimes we must deal with having absolutely zero 'funness' but that doing this life together as friends and co-travelers would bring us true joy. I need true hope, true joy; I don't need some artificial happiness any more than I need artificial sweetners. I need the real thing! I want to know that the joy in my life comes from the True Source and that no matter what happens and no matter what my troubles may be there will be triumph in the end. Everything, everyone, everywhere is set here on this earth, in motion or at rest, for the glory of God.

I heard a story on the radio today about Joni Erickson Tada. She was talking about the strength to perservere and the details of her life in which God has been present. Did you know that she trusts and believes that God was so interested in her that He was involved in the details of her life down to the color of her hair? You see, Joni is a quadrapalaegic. She was injured in a diving accident many years ago that left her in a wheelchair. The day prior to this accident she died her hair with peroxide. At the moment of the accident, her sister jumped into the water to save her life because she noticed the bright blonde color of her hair. Had she not dyed her hair the day before, her sister doesn't know that she would have noticed Joni face down in the water. Can you believe it? A quadrapalaegic woman who is so devoted to serving the Lord Jesus, she believes that God was involved in the color of her hair!! I don't know about you, but I don't think 'funness' would be on the list of words for Joni when she thinks back to that day. And yet, the God of the universe, the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, Almighty God, our Creator, the Maker of Everything had a hand in the details of Joni Erickson Tada's life from the way she would spend her life and the ministry she would have due to her challenges as a quadrapalaegic and He was interested in the color of her hair!

Life is no fun. I agree. Life is not fun. God didn't intend for it to be this way. Yet He has a plan. He loves me and He knows the details of my life. Even when I don't like the details He knows what each one is for and He knows why each one has its place in my life. My outlook on life has changed so much over the course of the past year. I have no idea where the next year will take me and I have no idea what path God will lead me on. I heard the saying just recently, I don't know what the future holds, but I know that One who holds the future. I often forget that I have no reason to worry and fret because the One holding my hand is also the One holding my future. I guess that's why it's okay for life to hold no 'funness' for me. I don't have control of the levels of 'funness' in my life and right now I'm very thankful for that.

"Just because her eyes don't tear, doesn't mean her heart don't cry.
And just because she comes off strong, doesn't mean there's nothing wrong."

God be with me as life takes its turns through the cave of No Funness...

No comments:

Post a Comment