Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Showers of Mercy, Winds of Joy

I jump up and run for the shower.  Everyone is still sleeping so I can get some great time alone with God, without interruptions for milk, snacks, disagreements, etc.  As I am enjoying the warm water, I hear a knock at the door and an adorable little voice exclaims, "Momma, miwk pweeeeaaaze".  I smile, look up to heaven and thank God for the health and joy placed in our little Squirt.  I climb out the shower, get dressed and as I turn the doorknob, I am bombarded by a mad rush of arms and smiles and hugs.  I recognize my immediate calling to get kiddos ready for the day and as I take off on a sprint through Tuesday, I grab my breakfast (diet coke & animal crackers) and head for the boys' room to pull clean clothes out for my boys.

After selecting something comfortable and easy to put on, I run upstairs to help our precious, stubborn, beautiful, strong-willed daughter select her wardrobe for the day.  She is already to thinking about what she wants to wear and informs me that she will be picking her clothes out and I 'don't have to worry about it' because she is a grown-up.  Yeah...  I run into the bathroom, pick up towels and laundry from the morning and the previous evening, run into our bedroom and do the same.  As I am glancing over the room, I see my MOPS copy of Our Daily Bread.  I pick it up thinking maybe I will have the three minutes I need to read over the page for today.

As I turn to June 9, here is what I read....

A Life Remembered

"Daddy, help me."  Those were the last words Dianne and Gary Cronin heard their daughter say as she struggled to breathe.  Kristin, 14 years old, died suddenly-just two days after saying she didn't feel well.  A strep infection attacked her body on Thursday. By Saturday, she was pleading with her daddy to help her.

Before Kristin died, I was scheduled to speak at her family's church in Soldotna, Alaska.  In God's timing, I stood before the congregation the day after her funeral.  Kristin was one of those vivacious teens who loved Jesus and lived for Him-and whose sudden death leaves us with a million questions.

Because I went through a similar loss of my own teenage daughter a few years ago, I was able to offer some advice to this stunned and grieving church.  First, I said, we must recognize God's sovereignty.  Psalm 139:16 reminds us that Kristin's life was the exact length God intended.  Second, I asked the church never to forget her family.  Whether it's two months or five years later, the family will never "get over" losing Kristin.  They will never stop needing Christians who care and remember.

In times like this don't forget that God is in control and that He wants us to be a comfort to others.

When we sustain a heartbreaking loss,
When grief overwhelms our soul,
The Savior who gave Himself on the cross,
Reminds us that He's in control.

II Corinthians 1:4...that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

God used a three minute devotional to catch me by surprise and help me to look at where I was and where I am.  He helped me to see what I have done and who I am not.  He helped me see who He is and who He can make me IF I let Him.  What a blessing it is to know that God works in ALL things...even the papers I get for random things, from random places.

Christ is calling, through the rain and wind of each day.
Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment